Building intersection doesn't create an intersection, lines cannot pass

Hello,

This could be user error but I am getting an unexpected result when trying to create intersections. I have a geometry shown below. I can create the first feature and intersection on the right and everything is fine.

I follow the same steps and try to create a similiar small tube intersection 10cm along the same facets
When I build the intersection, everything looks ok except there is still a solid facet where the intersection should be.

I want to create this same feature at multiple locations along the same facets but I can’t get the intersections to build properly. Any help would be appreciated.

Hello:

this has happened to me a couple of times in the past, but not always.
I solved the problem by splitting the facets on the big tube which are concerned by the intersection, seem to be 2 only in the screenshot, with a “cut” between the location of the two little tubes, for instance using the “split” command in the “Facet” menu and entering the splitting plane equation manually, or else creating with the editor a facet perpendicular to the large tube’s axis. You can copy the end facet of the big tube, for instance, and move it along its normal vector (use “Move” in the “facet” menu and proper choice for the normal vector direction). You move the copied facet by the proper amount so that it goes halfway between the position of the first little tube and the position of the second one. You then split the 2 long facets and then create the intersection of the second tube only with the shorter part of the two initial side facets, which should be in this case rectangular.
Hope it is clear what I mean… if not write back!
Good luck, and welcome to our Forum!

Roberto

1 Like

A bit tedious but this seems to work! Thank you. I will let you know if I run into another issue.

Dear Scott,

I tried and I could correctly create four intersections without splitting:

The reason it doesn’t work for you is you have to select the vertices to keep for the cut. After the first cut, you have to update the selection to include the contour of the first pipe.

I attach a screen recording. Cheers, Marton

Hi Marton,

Thanks for the video and reply! Also, I enjoyed your talk at AVS last week.

For some reason, when I follow the steps in your video, the second tube intersection ends up blocked and it doesn’t create a proper intersection. Maybe it is something in the way I set up my drawing or simulation, but it works fine if I split the facet. I will try to upload a video if I can.

-Scott