Crash after adding new vertices into new geometry

This happens in both versions I checked: 2.9.7 & 2.9.8 I’m building a new model from scratch: Start with new empty geometry. Start adding new vertices and try to zoom out to see them but can’t really find them. Molflow crashes when hitting Top view button. It seems to do a better job of zooming and rotating if I also add a point to the origin, but will still crash with either pressing the Top button or after some rotations and zooming.

Seems okay if I start with a test object and then add new points. However, if I delete the test object’s facets and vertices but keep my added points it will crash like before.

Here is the log…

Last login: Wed Dec 7 18:24:19 on ttys000

The default interactive shell is now zsh.

To update your account to use zsh, please run `chsh -s /bin/zsh`.

For more details, please visit https://support.apple.com/kb/HT208050.

/Applications/Molflow+/molflow_mac_arm_2.9.8_beta/molflow ; exit;

TAE7585-MLAP:~ alan$ /Applications/Molflow+/molflow_mac_arm_2.9.8_beta/molflow ; exit;

FALLBACK (log once): Fallback to SW vertex for line stipple

FALLBACK (log once): Fallback to SW vertex processing, m_disable_code: 2000

FALLBACK (log once): Fallback to SW vertex processing in drawCore, m_disable_code: 2000

[Unexpected error]

GLApplication::ManageEvent() failed.

OpenGL failure: A numeric argument is out of range. The offending function is ignored, having no side effect other than to set the error flag.

[Unexpected error]

GLApplication::ManageEvent() failed.

OpenGL failure: A numeric argument is out of range. The offending function is ignored, having no side effect other than to set the error flag.

logout

Saving session...

...copying shared history...

...saving history...truncating history files...

...completed.

[Process completed]

Thanks Alan for the report&log,
It is probably due to the model not having a width in one dimension, so the Autoscaling does a division by 0. I think it’s the same as this known bug, I’ll have a look and report back!
Marton

Hello again,

So I narrowed down the problem…

• It only happens on Mac, as rounding is slightly different on Windows
  • And only when your geometry is on a single line (all vertices along the same path), and you click a button triggering autoscale (for example, TOP). Then autoscaling tries to “magnify infinitely” the view and OpenGL crashes.

One reliable way was to add a (0,0,0) and (0,0,1) vertices and click “Top”. Crashes on Mac but not on Windows.

Even if this condition is rare, Molflow should never crash, so I added a fix, which will be in the next published version. Until then, if you want, you can download the automatic build that already contains the fix. Thanks again for the report!

Marton