Error message when trying to load stl-file

Hello together,

I tried to import a geometry from a stl-file and get this error message:

Unexpected or not supported STL keyword, 'endsolid' required

Previously I was able to import other stl-files. Does it has to do with the way saving the geometry with the CAD-software?

Thank you a lot for your reply.

Oli

Most probably this happens because the STL file is saved in “binary” mode, whereas Molflow+ can only read ASCII mode.

Usually the CAD program offers you to choose when exporting the geometry.

Does this solve the problem?

1 Like

Hello,

Thanks a lot for your quick reply!
I was now able to load it when I saved it before in step-format. So for the moment importing works.

Oli

maartonMarton Ady

May '14

Most probably this happens because the STL file is saved in “binary” mode, whereas Molflow+ can only read ASCII mode.

The file is in STL format and is saved in ASCII mode, but gives an error and gets hung up on the process of opening the file (see screenshot).

Can you try, whether you have the same problem with Molflow 2.8.5?
In the meantime, I will take a look at the STL reader for the current beta version (2.9.3).

Inspect the STL reader for the current beta (2.9.3) please.

Installation of Moldflow 2.8.5 will take time, I will do it - I will inform you.

The model is a simple 30cm x 30cm x 30cm cube.

Hello Aleksej,

If you don’t want to bother with downloading 2.8.5, you can upload simple.STL here (since a simple cube is not confidential) and I’ll also check what’s the root cause.

Many thanks for reporting this, Marton

Hey Aleksej,
there was indeed a bug introduced on 10.12.2022 in the development version, which prevented STL files from being loaded properly. I’ll need to make sure, that the new fix is working as intended. An official 2.9.3 release will follow soon, I’ll let you know!

Hello Rene,
I am handing over the original model and the result of the Solidworks 2022 converter for inspection.

https://cloud.niitm.ru/s/HbfDZGmrmD3r4AJ

Hey,
unfortunately the access to the file is blocked. Likely the website is blocked with our DNS.
Can you please verify if the latest fix solves your issue?

Download the Windows version from here:
https://gitlab.cern.ch/molflow_synrad/molflow/-/jobs/19156878/artifacts/download?file_type=archive

Okay.
I’ll try to launch the app tomorrow.
If there is an e-mail to which I could download the files necessary for inspection, please let me know.

@pbahr Here is the file reuploaded: CERNBox

It loads correctly on 2.9.3 beta that was released today:

Great job!
Thank you.
Does the link to download the setup file help me get the same result?

Yes, the link
https://gitlab.cern.ch/molflow_synrad/molflow/-/jobs/19156878/artifacts/download?file_type=archive
will get you 2.9.3 beta that was released today, including the STL fix that @pbahr did after you reported the bug.

Checked, loaded without problems!

Operatively. Rene, thanks.
All my difficulties with the software are resolved, for today.
Successful work!

1 Like