File dialog unresponsive in Fedora

When using the beta build “build-artifact-fedora”, the file load and file save dialogs are unresponsive to mouse clicks, but I can still select files and enter paths by keyboard.

By trying different builds, I managed to identify the last working commit to be e8782df4 and first buggy commit to be a21f893f

I’m using Fedora 38 with MATE desktop environment.

1 Like

Thank you Balázs for the detailed bug report,
Currently out of office, I’ll have a look next week and get back to you,
Marton

Dear Balazs,
We can’t consistently reproduce the bug (some Fedora installations work fine, some don’t).
My colleague @tmroczko attempted a fix. Would you mind testing if it fixes the behavior on your environment?
https://gitlab.cern.ch/molflow_synrad/molflow/-/jobs/33806278/artifacts/download
Meanwhile I’m creating a new test environment for Fedora, to find the root cause.
Thank you, Marton

Thank you for looking into this issue. Unfortunately the new build you linked to still displays the same symptoms.

Dear Balazs,

@tmroczko has done a lot of testing of this issue over the last week. He has installed Fedora 38 with MATE in a virtual machine.

The problem is that between the two commits you posted, there are 24 “sub-commits” to the git submodule src_shared. Tymoteusz tried to narrow down which breaks the file selection, but the bug is not deterministic - on the same commit, it sometimes presents itself, sometimes not.

I have tested the latest code on two Fedora environments:

CentOS8 in virtual machine:

And CentOS9 in Windows Subsystem for Linux with X-Win32 window renderer:

It works well for both.
Therefore, mainly due to the random nature of the bug, we give up and believe it’s a MATE-related bug.

That said, Tymoteusz has found two workarounds:

• You can launch the File Open dialog from the imgui menu (Test / ImGui menu to enable), as I do in the screen recording
  • Tymoteusz also found that the bug is less frequent when you launch molflow from the terminal (as opposed to double-clicking on the executable)

I’m sorry that we can’t provide further fix. Fedora is already an edge case (only used at Cern for cluster computations, without GUI), so we have to put up with the fact that it’s working on our used CentOs versions. Thanks for your understanding.

Thank you very for looking into this in detail! Switching to ImGui solves the issue for me.