Mac version of Molflow

Hi,

I just saw the Mac version of the Molflow and I would like to thanks for it and report my experience.

I was using the Windows 2.5.6 version with VMWare (Windows 7) in a Mac Pro i7 machine. The VMWare was preset for only 2 CPU's. I was using a model with aprox 100.000 facets, 50.000 vertex. Some results:

Windows (VMWare 2 CPU): 800 hits/s

Mac (2 CPU): 1.7 k hit/s

It means, using the same machine, the Mac version was x2 faster and at 4 CPU around x3. The compatibility of the file was 100%.

Thanks for the effort to provide this version!

Regards.

Hi,

I updated my OS and I found X11 isn't more supported. The alternative is XQuartz but I'm not able to run Molflow with it!

Someone knows how to fix this?

Best.

I have abandoned making Mac versions since - at least as of 2015 - Wineskin, the Mac wrapper didn't support 64-bit applications. As now both Molflow and Synrad are 64-bit, I couldn't compile them to run on Mac. Besides, I judged that most people working with Molflow have a CAD editor at hand which already requires a Windows environment.

I will check if maybe they added 64-bit support and if they made their wrapper compatible with MacOS Sierra. If not, I really recommend to dual-boot Windows for Molflow.

Hi Marton,

Thanks for the effort to fix it. Wineskin is suing the XQuartz X11 (MacOS) but I have no idea about the 64bits!

Regards.

Just a curiosity, I have been using 123Desing (AUTODESK freeware) CAD to create the model in MAC.

Hi all,
Back to the MacOS version, cansomeone help on the Sonoma version?
I guess my problem is related to the homebrew installation… bellow some details of the attempt to run it after following the usual step for Mac.
I’m using a M2 Sonoma 14.2.1

And I’m still trying to confirm with our interanl IT if the Privacy&Security for Molflow is correct on Sonoma…

Thanks, and happy New Year!

###############################################
Last login: Thu Jan 4 13:21:19 on ttys000
/Users/marceloferreira/Desktop/molflow_mac_arm_2.9.16_beta/molflow ; exit;
marceloferreira@CIN-956406 ~ % /Users/marceloferreira/Desktop/molflow_mac_arm_2.9.16_beta/molflow ; exit;
dyld[27198]: Library not loaded: /opt/homebrew/opt/libomp/lib/libomp.dylib
Referenced from: <9809A5F7-4492-3921-BF19-0608E0C00C5E> /Users/marceloferreira/Desktop/molflow_mac_arm_2.9.16_beta/molflow
Reason: tried: ‘/opt/homebrew/opt/libomp/lib/libomp.dylib’ (no such file), ‘/System/Volumes/Preboot/Cryptexes/OS/opt/homebrew/opt/libomp/lib/libomp.dylib’ (no such file), ‘/opt/homebrew/opt/libomp/lib/libomp.dylib’ (no such file), ‘/usr/local/lib/libomp.dylib’ (no such file), ‘/usr/lib/libomp.dylib’ (no such file, not in dyld cache)
zsh: abort /Users/marceloferreira/Desktop/molflow_mac_arm_2.9.16_beta/molflow

Saving session…
…copying shared history…
…saving history…truncating history files…
…completed.

[Process completed]

Can you try “brew install libomp”?
Beta versions recently started to use the OMP library for parallelization.

PERFECT!!!

Suggestion: on the page for MacOS version, add the libomp on the brew line `brew install sdl2 libpng gsl gcc p7zip libomp’.

it comes with some notes but it works fine.

Thanks.

The instructions were made for the non-beta version and I forgot to add libomp…
Thank you for the report and the suggestion, I’ve updated the page now.
Cheers, Marton

Small generic feedback on performance of the Molflow on soft x hardware:
The soft version needs to “macht” the hardware in time (or age).
My old MacBook Pro 2016 (i7 quad core) runs slower with the last version (2.9.5 x 2.9.16) >10% slower.
It makes some sense… maybe you knew that!
Best.