Smart Selection

I don’t know if I would call it a bug, but why does Smart Selection only work after you perform a Collapse Facet? Sometime I don’t want to do a collapse, but I still really need the Smart Selection feature.

For example…I created an outgassing map on a facet and want to select all those exploded facets. However, I need to do a collapse, which combines adjacent facets with the same outgassing value into a collapsed facet which also gets rid of any texture properties I setup on those facets.

Best,
Alan

It only works with neighbor facets, that share vertices.
The exploded facets (and also extrusions, and a few special geometry operations) create duplicate vertices (two different vertices but with same coordinates), therefore they aren’t recognised as neighbors. In general, these duplicate vertices shouldn’t be present in a geometry, they can even create ray-tracing errors as the collision detection order becomes udefined.
The fix is to do the collapse command only with the collapse vertices option, which won’t merge facets, after that the smart select will work reliably.

On the longer term I’ll fix the explode command (written 15 years ago), there’s no actual reason to create duplicate vertices. Thanks for reporting.