Transient simulation outgassing

I am learning molflow and have started running some time domain gas loading models. My question is how does molflow handle outgassing rates when the simulation time is less than a second.

Lets say the outgassing value I set is 100 mbarl/s but the simulation is only .10 seconds long. Is only 1/10 of that outgassing value injected (so 10 mbarl) or is the original outgassing value used?

Thanks in advance, Skyler

Hello Skyler, and thanks for inquiring about our codes.

The original outgassing value is used, i.e. 100 mbarl/s, but only for the time duration you’ve specified, so actually only 10 mbarl/s will be injected. This means that if you want to have the molecular equivalent of 100 mbarl/s and look at what happens in 0.1 s, then your definition of the time-dependent outgassing should be 1000 mbarl/s. Hope it is clear what I mean, if not write back, please.

You can check how many molecules are injected in our system in the “Tools” menu, “Global settings”, right pane “Simulation settings”… you then have to convert to mbar*l/s depending on the temperature in your system… via the PV=nRT equation (it it’s an isothermal system).

One comment on Roberto’s message: in newer Molflow versions, this quantity is explicitly written:

You can see that the last line tells you what is the latest simulated moment, and shows you the total injected molecules. But your (and Roberto’s) concrete examples are both correct.

If your simulation is .10s long, and your time window is .1s, then the last “recorded” or “simulated” moment will be .105s (last moment and half time window).

Cheers, Marton