Undulator radiation simulation in SynRad

Hello

I have some problems with SynRad code for simulating undulator radiation.

I have simulated radiation from insertion devices, undulator, I put sine/cosine type magnetic field in region

I define a periodic magnetic field, with the format : “period dirX dirY dirZ 1 // A1 B1”

For linear polarization, we must set A1 or B1 zero and then run the code, sometimes, I have seen in region info, the end point is not my defined point and there is 2 or 4 point in “number of point” part.

For example my defined starting point was -114cm and end point was 114cm, but in region info part, I see -114 and -113.8 as start and end point. I fond that with changing MAG file the problem could be fixed(changing from sine cosine in mag file, I mean set B1 zero beside A1 zero). But there is another problem. Each time, I have to make new region and saved param ang MAG files could not be used again.

For circular polarization, I need two magnetic field components, one sine and another cosine. I tried to set two components in 1 region and the result was not correct

Please help me to simulate these type of radiations

Hello Saeid,

We need some testing from our side to see how this can be done,
we’ll get back to you.

Cheers, Marton

Hello Marton

Thanks for your supporting in this forum

I have used to simulate SynrRad in windows, I examined SynRad in Ubuntu OS.

I dealt with the same issue in Ubuntu OS, too.

I am waiting for your solution.
Regards

Hello Saeid, and thanks for contributing to this forum.
In order for us to debug the code, if it is a bug that causes your problems, please send the syn7z file to us, so we can actually use exactly the same files and geometry. Also, if you have a description, document or text in an e-mail, of the device you want to simulate (the undulator) then that would be nice to have too.
Thanks in advance, and good luck with your study/design.

R.

Sorry Said, I marked your topic to investigate and forgot to reply back, thanknyou for the reminder!

Just a small addition to Roberto’s message that you can upload files directly here (by dragging them in the editor).

I’ll have a look at the .param and .mag then.

Cheers, Marton

Hello
I want to explain problems step by step.
At first, most of the time I deal with this issue in linear polarization: I have defined a region with starting point (-114, 0, 0) and ending point (114, 0, 0), on region info there are (-114, 0, 0) and (-113.97, 0, xxx) as start and end points, as seen in picture.

Great, thanks for the screenshot!

It happens because you hit the Ymax and Zmax limit at every period (you start the calculation at Y=Z=0, i.e. on the boundary): regions are calculated until either component of the limits is reached.

Set Ymax and Zmax to non-zero (for example 999) and it will work.

Good luck!

Thanks, Marton so much, I appreciate your help.

In MAG file, I can set Magnetic field as Sinusoidal or Cosinusoidal Field.

Why different choice of field type causes different result?

Sine starts with 0 field, cosine with peak field.

In both cases, the starting direction has to be fine-tuned so that the ceterline of your wiggler/undulator is on the X axis.

You can check the Z coordinate in the View Points window. It should oscillate within a min/max value all along the X coordinate (length) of the region.

Fine tuning is done through adjusting the theta0 value.

Thanks a lot

All the thing that I should do is changing beam start direction to make suitable end point in “Region info” window. Did you mean that?