Your geometry has null, non-simple or non-planar facets, causing leaks

Ask for a help. When you load your geometry and collapse it, there is note, your geometry has null, non-simple or non-planar facets, causing leaks. How to deal with this problem. Thank you.

Hello:

it means that one or more facet of the collapsed structure are NOT planar. One or more of the vertices which define them is/are not in the plane identified by the first 3.
Normally the non planar facets are highlighted in a different color, dark pink, but you can select them in the “Selection” menu.
Unless you have many of them, you can “undo” the collapse and try to triangularize back those, i.e. split them in the original ones made up of triangles, in the STL file.
There is a “triangulate” command in the “Facet” menu which is supposed to do this: you select the non-planar facet and use it. I have not used this much, but I think it works fine only if the non-planar facet is a convex polygon, if it has any sort of re-entrant shape, or holes in it, then it will triangulate but it may leave some “open” holes, which will generate leaks. In that case you’ll need to eliminate the leaks by defining new facets by selecting some vertices (3 or more) and then creating the facet with the “Vertex” menu “Create facet” and “Convex hull” command.
Hope it helps, if not write back, possibly including your file.

R.

2 Likes

Thank you for your big help. “triangulate” does work. I have solved this issue.